Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Can a potential employer ask for my performance review from my prior employer as part of a reference check

Top Performance
Can a potential employer ask for my performance review from my prior employer as part of a reference check

I've never heard of that before. My guess is that they called your employer for a reference and your employer only verified your dates and title (which is what many do to avoid getting sued). They are probably asking you for the performance review to get around the fact they can't get any information from your employer. If you have the review handy and it was good, I would provide it (although I agree it sounds a bit intrusive). If you have reservations about providing the review you can say that you don't have a copy and couldn't obtain one from your employer. Records are typically kept for only so long (may vary by state), as others pointed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment